Monday, September 10, 2012

Dorm Decorations For The Unskilled

I'm at BYU Provo now and life is grand! I've got a great apartment, awesome roommates, and classes have yet to kill me. Now one of the things I was the most excited for was decorating my own room at college. Don't worry I'm aware that's nerdy. Anyway my lovely roommate Chelsea and I decided to cordinate our room decorations with the colors red, black, and white. Here are our adorable bed spreads!
Plus we did some adorable crafts to help add to the theme. However, I'm not very crafty so I had to try and find the simplest crafts out there. Now I've sharing them with you all so that you can try them out yourself if you're as unskilled as I am!


This was my simplest craft. Mainly cuz it wasn't a craft. I just took a picture frame, added a picture, and then tied a necklace around the back of it to hang off the side. Also it is the only one that doesn't match the theme of the room.

My next craft I just mod podged cute paper around the frame, glued on some white buttons with hearts on them and added an adorable family picture!

My jewelry hanger I already had from a previous mutual but I had to fix it up to match the room. So the outsides are covered in red sequins, buttons, and rhinestones, many of which came off on the trip up here :( Then I added a smily heart to the top and the word lovely at the bottom.

Now I'll admit none of these have been too crafty. This one I would count as crafty though! I took old random pictures of my friends that I will never use for anything and cut them out to fit around the boarder. I mod podged them on and bamb! You've got yourself a picture outline! Now you can then put a picture inside the frame but it looked a little too crazy to me that way so instead I put words on the inside. This project was almost really great except for the fact that the D in friend ins't in line. If I was completely my mother's daughter I would do it again until it was perfect. But because I'm also my dad's daughter it doesn't bother me enough to fix it.

Chelsea and I both decided to do these decorative letters and it is probably my favorite craft. It was just so easy but I love it so much! You don't even need instructions for it because you just make it however you want. You can do as much or as little with it as you want!

This next project is the one I'm most proud of because it really is a definite craft! I took a plain wooden framed mirror and started by painting it black.

Then I made those flowers around the edges by cutting pieces of fabric in flower shapes, burnign the edges, sewing them together, and adding a sequin to the middle. I also chose words to put on the mirror. I actually didn't have enough E's so I had to trace it onto another sticker and cut that one out.

After that you paint the mirror part with black paint. Once that dries you just peel off those stickers and you've got yourself one sweet project! Then if you're really want to tie it together you add on some perfectly placed rhinestone stickers and you're a craft genius.

 I swear everthing looks better in person so come visit me! I'm still learning how to make friends so I could use the company.... :)


2 comments:

  1. That was lovely. Now onto the juicy stuff. Boys drama girls mdore ddrama boys potential drama. Give your people what they want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute room, but Kacey is right and we want the dirt. Loved your BYU football game picture, made me miss the good ole days.

    ReplyDelete